Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Great Gelato

I'm not a dessert eater, but I do like gelato in summer.  Ice cream is too heavy for me.  On a hot summer evening, Gelato makes a nice, light way to end a good meal.  Homemade gelato typically contains 4-8% butterfat, versus 14% for ice cream.  But gelato can have a lot more sugar. 


Gelato dates back to frozen desserts served in ancient Rome and Egypt made from snow and ice brought down from mountaintops and preserved below ground.


I buy this brand locally.


This is another one that often appears in the stores.


A recent Forbes Magazine story selected "the best gelato in America."  The author dished the well known Grom chain (locations in NYC, Malibu, Tokyo, Paris, and many in Italy) for an unlikely winner of this title - Morano Gelato in New Hanover, New Hampshire. The owner who spent time in Italy working under a master in Sicily, only makes two flavors each week. Funny thing happened, the near-by Ben & Jerry's went out of business (and this is a college town - home to Dartmouth).  Competition has a way of doing that.


I know one thing for sure, if we keep having these 100 degree days, I'll keep eating gelato.  Happy Tuesday!

1 comment:

  1. We have been on such a gelato kick this summer. I have bought the first brand you show, but have never seen the second. There are a lack of Gelato locations in our area, so we have been reduced to store bought and whole foods. I think I might venture out and try making it myself sometime soon. Happy eating!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...