Friday, July 20, 2012

Herend Does Horses

How many of you have collected Herend china over the years?  I started when I was in my early 20's and love it.  My favorite china pattern is Rothchild Birds (save that for another day), but the horses are heavenly.  I love the animals and today there are so many to pick from. But the horses........

You have to look at Herend as an investment, it does not go down in value.  That being said, I'm glad I have had my collection for a long time.  It is expensive. You can find it on Ebay and I recently came across an antique store that has really great prices (about half) on items.  They will also search for specific items for you. 

Herend is hand-painted, made in Hungary, and started creating figurines in the 1850's.  The products did not hit the US until the 1950's when the owners of Martin's in Georgetown (DC) starting importing it.  The rest is history.


The horses can be purchased in different colors.  Black was the original fishnet color followed  by rust in 1870.  Blue and green were added in the 1950's.  Raspberry fishnet came on the scene in 1986 and in 1994 butterscotch was brought in.  Chocolate was added in 2003.  The one horse that I have is in blue. 






These make great wedding, birthday, Christmas or graduation gifts.  Who would not love getting one of these?



Herend has a great website too (Herendusa.com) and also a good Facebook page. Happy Friday!

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous. And, I wholeheartedly agree that they are an investment. The difference in value over the past 15 years surprises me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...