Thursday, February 11, 2016

The Demise of the Horse Show Photographer

If you have been a horse show rider for a long time, you will be aware of the demise of the horse show photographer.  Years ago, there was a photographer present at many shows, even the local ones but no more.  With the advent of the Internet and social media, photographers have seen technology literally bankrupt their business.  See this blog in the UK for more on this topic.  Here is a link to another article on the subject.

Do you realize that when you take an image off a photographer's website, without paying for it, that you are in essence stealing?  Do you know that you are breaking the law?  Do you realize that you are killing this profession one Facebook post at a time?  Some photographers now require a fee to even view the photos from a show as it's the only way they can make money. Sad state of affairs isn't it?

Fortunately, my walls in my office and in an upstairs hall are filled with beautiful 8 x 10 photos of my retired or sold horses, that I now cherish more than ever, knowing that I won't ride these steads again over jumps at major horse shows.  Luckily, I didn't experience the end of the horse show photographer, or I wouldn't have these memories pasted on my walls to enjoy every day.

Don't kill this profession.  Cherish it.  Help keep it alive so you too will have these memories on your walls one day to enjoy!

(This photo was lovingly bought by the owner/rider at the Keswick Horse Show)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...