Sunday, December 24, 2017

Christmas Traditions

It's Christmas Eve here in Virginia and the weather is starting to chill (finally) and we even see a few flakes this evening.  I've always loved Christmas, the excitement and anticipation and most of all the traditions.......

When I was a little girl, my father would take us downtown to an old store (it was called W.G. White's back then) and we'd buy ribbon candy, hard Christmas candy, out of old barrels. They still sell it by the way, and the country hams are out of this world.  This is a more recent photo of the place.  It hasn't changed much.


We'd go downtown to watch the Christmas parade march down Fourth Street.  I remember the decorations on the light posts. 

 The Reynolds building had a huge wreath on it.  It was always lovely there.
This same building would be decorated with green and red lights for the holidays.

 

And my mom would take us to the Candle Tea in Old Salem, a tradition that is still going strong.


This radio tower (now long gone) was decorated with lights for the holiday season.


I wonder if families today make time to build holiday traditions - perhaps not in our instant gratification world.  Pull yourself away from your phone, the Internet, Instagram and shopping sites long enough to make traditions that your family will learn to cherish years from now. My dad is no longer here to take me to buy Christmas candy. I'd give anything to be able to do that today with him. Enjoy your special moments, relish the holiday spirit.  Have a wonderful, tradition-building Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. Have a very, very Merry Christmas!! Thanks for all your wonderful posts throughout the year. I enjoy all of them very much. We're having a snowy New England Christmas today.. nice, pretty, but somewhat of a pain..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...